Gemstone painting and their making process
Gemstone paintings are paintings picture which are made from many other natural types of precious stone and semi precious stone by hands of the artisans. They are set off with the timeless beauty of space depth and color fastness. The process of making gemstone painting include two stages. Those are the material preparation stage and the creation stage:
A. The material preparation step:
Gemstone painting’s materials include:
+ Precious stones: Ruby ( Red and rose), sapphire ( Bright blue and dark blue)
+ Semi-precious stones:
- White stones: white calcite, white quartz, white topazes
- Black stones: Tourmaline, meteorites, black quartz, obsidans
- Purple stones: Hand-made purple quartz
- Rose and dark red stones: Garnets
- Golden stones: Golden quartzes, golden opals, golden tourmaline and golden caxits
- Darkblue stones: Hand – made lapis lazulies
- Green stones: Green opals, peacock stones – Malachites,…
- Spring-green stones: Spring green opals, peridots, aquamarines,…
These materials will be processed into powders, grains or pieces, and maybe summarily where to become the patterns of paintings as well. The other colors are created by mixing the above stone powders’ colors. The natural stones are selected to ensure their clearness and purity. For example, ruby gemstone maybe sharpened, calcite maybe split and polished and the others maybe ground or screened to choose small pieces for making gemstone painting or choose the stones with suitable size with particular pattern of paintings.
B. The creation step:
Cutting mica: The artisans often cut a crystal slice of mica to make the frame with the thickness of 3 – 6mm depending on the gemstone painting size. Usually, the small size requires a 3mm slice, the medium size require 5mm slice, the larger the painting the thicker the mica. If the painting is larger than the original mica slice, the artisans need to cut and join some other slices together.
After preparing mica and the materials, the making process include 4 smaller stages:
- Draw the pattern:
With gemstone painting whose pattern have been required before, workers need to print out the template onto the plexiglass template. Based on the pattern, the workers will carry out dusting stones for the next steps
2. Line the foundation layer:
To create paintings with depth and beauty, workers need to spread a layer of powder stone with 1 mm in thickness. This powder layer is used as the background of painting creating the details and thickness of paintings. A painting often include several of stone layers, thereby the painting can have the clearer details and lifelike depth.
3. Dust and join the details:
Based on the details and patterns of each painting, the artistsan decide to dust stone in form of powder or piece. This stage requires skilled workers with his carefullness and artistic eye. This is the decisive stage of making a successful painting, based on the different skills of different artists, the painting’s quality varies from one to one.
When processing the painting, depending on each pattern’s speciality , the worker skillfully dust the suitable form of stone to create shades, shapes such as grains or powder, bigger grains or smaller grain, to pave thinly or densily. Thereby they create different paintings with different features and beauty.
After laying and finishing grafting all stone details, the workers carry out droping stoneclue into the painting. The stoneclue helps to join all the stone details firmly, it commonly takes from 5 to 7 days for the clue to be dried depending on the weather and climate condition. If the paintings are not dried in the right period of time, their glasses maybe uncleared by the wet clue. In this case, we have to take the painting into parts to wipe it clean.
When the paintings are mostly completed, the workers need to join them to frames. They often choose the most suitable frame according to customers’ requirement. Because the painting normal have consider weight, their chosen frames are often from light materials such as synthetic resins or wood.
In order to bring to the customer the wonderful paintings, each of the above stages have to be done carefully:
– The chosen materials have to be selected pros and cons without any scratch stone.
– The artist needs to have their own workmanship. Besides the skills related to artic ability, they also need to have at least 3 – 5 years of experience in each kind of painting. The painting usually have the individual stamp of the designer’s characteristic.
– The final stage is choosing the frames: Their materials are often up to the customer choices, are normally the synthetic resins to reduce the paintings’ weight as possible. For the paintings of 2×3 m with the weight of more than 150kg, the process of freighting and assembling require professional workers.
– Unlike the normal painting types, natural gemstone paintings often have endless beauty through ages. However, we should avoid some unexpected attacks such as breaking their frames. The gemstone paintings’ assembling and dismantling process are done as those of the normal paintings. When dismantling the large gemstone painting size, we need several of people to lift and elevate in many other points to avoid breaking them.
To need more information, please contact us.